LOUGHBOROUGH DYNAMO (Nanpantan Sports Ground)

Back on the road to Wembley today and today's destination was Leicestershire. The game was not exactly my choice today, as I had the luxury of being chauffeured so the driver got to pick, but the game was on my list I threw into the hat and it ticked all the boxes of what I look for in a cup tie, different league v different league, different 'steps' playing each other and therefore potential for an upset.

As I was the passenger today, that afforded me the chance to partake in a few pre-match ales and today's choice of public house was the superb Paget Arms in Loughborough, a mere 8 minutes drive from the ground. This is the home to the Steamin' Billy Brewing Company and their 'Tipsy Fisherman' and 'Skydiver' were in fine fettle.

Loughborough Dynamo are members of the Northern Premier League Division One South (step 4) and today they were up against United Counties Premier League (step 5) side Daventry United. Daventry had a great result in the last round, beating Coalville Town, who are just above Loughbourough in the league, so this tie looked a bit of a banana skin for the homesters.

Dynamo, who were named after the touring Moscow Dynamo side of the 1950's, play at the Nanpantan Sports Ground along with Loughborough University (Midland Alliance) and FC Dynamo (Leicester Senior League) which is on the outskirts of Loughborough, but very near to the M1 motorway, so it's pretty straightforward to get to. The ground is a tidy little set-up.

After the first 15 minutes of this cup tie it looked like the upset was on the cards as Daventry made all the early running. After a couple of minutes Tom Lorraine sprang the offside trap and was one-on-one with the 'keeper but he fluffed his chance and shot wide. A few moments later Will Briscoe found himself in the box with only the goalie to beat but his tame effort was easily saved by Kahil Mann-Kler.

This really was as good as it was got for Daventry, as Loughborough settled down and found their rhythm. After having a few decent efforts at goal, the breakthrough came after half hour, when the ever dangerous Ash Way broke clear and put it on a plate for Scott Mooney to fire home. Five minutes later it was a repeat performance as Way set up Mooney for number two.

The chances were coming thick and fast for the homesters and they really should have put the game beyond the reach of Daventry before half-time, indeed Way could've bagged himself a hat-trick, but the Visitors rode their luck and were not completely out of it at the interval.

Unfortunately for Daventry, the second half continued as the first half ended and eventually Way got the goal his performance deserved when he broke through and lobbed the 'keeper on the hour mark. After this the game fizzled out, but Daventry did grab themselves a consolation in stoppage time when Briscoe tapped home.

Saturday 17th September 2011
FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round
Loughborough Dynamo 3-1 Daventry United
Attendance: 103

No comments:

Post a Comment