GWALCHMAI (Maes Meurig)

Like quite a few other groundhoppers, I was drawn to this very interesting cup tie on the Isle of Anglesey. The lowest ranked team left in the competition, Gwalchmai of the Welsh Alliance, were taking on Welsh Premier League outfit, and last year's beaten finalists, Port Talbot Town. This ticked all the boxes when it comes to a cup tie; a small compact ground, a bog  of a pitch, an expected large partisan crowd and most important, the likelyhood of a programme.

Oh and the small chance of an upset!

As for the upset, well once Port Talbot bagged their third goal before half time it was never going to happen, but the final scoreline of 4-1 to the visitors was very very harsh and flattering.

Martin Rose gave the Steelmen the lead after 10 minutes but the villagers struck back almost immediately when Paul Tilbury headed past Lee Kendall. The homesters enjoyed the bulk of possession, but admiitedly didn't trouble the Port goal, then on the half hour a needless penalty was conceded by Gwalchmai defender Stephen Sinclair and Rose bagged his second from the spot. Soon after Luke Bowen found himself one on one and his slotted home to kill the tie.

The second half was dominated by Gwalchmai but you had the impression Port Talbot were playing within themselves and always seemed to have them at arms length. Just to compound his afternoon Sinclair was then sent off late on for stamping on goalkeeper Kendall's foot, another act of stupidity from the defender. In the very last minute Liam Mcreesh scored to make it 4-1, which was very cruel on the villagers as that score made it look like they were well beaten, which was far from the truth.

Port Talbot marched on into the next round where they will face Caersws at their Victoria Road ground.

Martin Rose's penalty hits the back of the net

The Sgorio cameraman hard at work..
to see the fruits of his labour, click on this link
Saturday 6th November 2010
Welsh Cup 3rd Round
Gwalchmai 1-4 Port Talbot Town
Attendance: 300

No comments:

Post a Comment