A bonus Sunday FA Cup game down in leafy Surrey as Godalming Town took on Dulwich Hamlet in a 1st Qualifying Round tie.

You have to admire the clubs thinking as they hoped a Sunday game would reward them with a decent crowd, hence the switch. I guess they wouldn't have been disappointed with a 300+ gate.

The early 2pm kick off meant an early start for us, everything was going swimmingly until we encountered the dreaded M25 where an accident was causing long delays.

At one stage it was rather worrying but we reached our turn off and arrived at the ground in good time to snaffle our programmes, then head off into town to pay a visit to The Star, a local GBG entry, where it's fine selection of ales went down a treat on a baking hot day.

Wey Court is about a mile out of Godalming itself, in Farncombe, and has been the home of The G's since the early seventies.

Dulwich Hamlet are familiar foes to Godalming having played each other three times last season in Isthmian League and Cup before Godalming were moved across into the Southern league Central in the annual close season shake up.

It was Godalming that made the early running before Dulwich settled into their rhythm and slowly started to take control of the game. It was no surprise when the visitors took the lead, Dean Carpenter (23) blasting home a low 25 yarder, which clipped the inside of the post on it's way home.

Hamlet then took their eye off the ball and let the G's back into the game. They equalised just before half time when a superb cross (pictured right) was buried at the back stick by Johnnie Dyer (43). A great header.

The home side took the lead soon after the break when substitute Antonio Simeone (52) struck home a brilliant free kick, which flew into the top corner.
Hamlet looked like they has shot their bolt as Godalming took control but there was a game changing moment with the introduction of Turkish substitute Erhan Otzumer. The debutant proceeded to run the show for the remainder of the tie.

With just minutes remaining Carl Wilson-Dennis went through one on one, with just Jake Somerville in the home goal to beat, and was brought down by the Godalming number one. The referee booked the 'keeper (pictured above left) but Otzumer (88) dispatched the penalty (pictured right) with aplomb to take the game to a replay on Tuesday.

Sunday 9th September 2012
FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Godalming Town 2-2 Dulwich Hamlet

Attendance: 311

1 comment:

  1. The replay also ended in a 2-2 draw but Dulwich Hamlet won 3-1 on penalties. They will now visit Arlesey Town in the next round.