QUEEN of the SOUTH (Palmerston Park)

After whetting the appetite with intertoto cup games, eircom premier league games and pre-season friendlies it was time to start off the 2008/09 season in earnest.

As the only competitive games in the UK this weekend took place in Scotland it was only right that it was north of the border I headed.

The choice of games came down to two. Annan Athletics’ debut in the league away at Cowdenbeath in division three or their neighbours, and last season surprise package, Queen of the South at home to Airdire United in division one. I opted for the latter, mainly as Cowdenbeath was just a little to far and there is a chance my team, Everton, could draw Queen of the South in the UEFA cup.

Annan were not left out of the picture completely as, on the recommendation of my hopping compadre, we headed into the town for some fish ‘n’ chips and to a chippy (the cafe royal) which was voted one of the best in Scotland. We also managed a quick visit to the football ground, which is now on my “to-do” list, if only to go back for another fish supper!

For the uninitiated, Queen of the South play in the town of Dumfries and the ground was pretty easy to find as it is on the main A76 road as you follow the signs for Kilmarnock, so it was with good time that we arrived at Palmerston Park. First port of call was the souvenir shop to pick up a programme (£2) and a badge for my ever-growing collection. Whilst I was in there I couldn’t resist the limited edition “Doonhamers in Europe” t-shirt. I’ll look the mutts nuts in that!

Sadly, I had to avoid the busy social club due to the fact that I was driving and its just not worth the risk.

The ground is a mixture of the old and new. On one side of the ground there is an old wooden grandstand with a small bank of terracing in the front and on the opposite side of the ground there is a “modern” seated stand, which is identical to what you see at most new grounds. Behind both goals are huge banks of terracing, one uncovered and disused and the other covered and where most of the home support gathered. This was where I opted to view the game (though it was odd that it was £15 to get in whether you stood or sat). I headed towards the back of the terrace where I was afforded a great view of the pitch and also the local jailhouse.

I can’t lie, the game was absolute dross. I can’t remember seeing anything as bad since the Blessed Walter was in charge of Everton. The only time the game threatened to come to life was for about five minutes on the hour when the Queens striker rounded the keeper but the ball was cleared before it crossed the line. From the resulting corner a goalmouth scramble ensued before the Airdrie keeper managed to get hold of the ball. Then from the keepers’ clearance Airdire broke quickly and their striker ran through on goal but shot tamely and the chance was gone.

The only other incident of note came 5 minutes from the end when the Airdrie striker went through one-on-one before being hauled down by the Queens centre-half, which left the referee no choice but to red card him. The 10 men however held on for a share of the spoils.

A disappointing afternoon for myself and indeed the other 2,913 souls watching with me but another Scottish ground ticked off, only another 34 to go!

I fear for the Doonhamers in Europe as they look a very poor outfit, maybe it says a lot about the standard of Scottish football that they pushed Rangers all the way in the cup final. Somehow I don’t think Everton will be playing them in Europe as I suspect Queens wont make it past their first round tie against FC Nordsjaelland of Denmark, but I stand to be proved wrong.

Oh, Annan won 4-1 just to cheer me up on the journey home…
















Saturday 2nd August 2008
Scottish Football League Division One
Queen of the South 0-0 Airdrie United
Attendance: 2,914

No comments:

Post a Comment