ROTHERHAM UNITED (Don Valley Stadium)

So here we are the first day the season, the sun is shining and the temperature is in the high 80’s, Perfect conditions for football.

What a load of rubbish!! I opened the curtains and it’s absolutely pouring down, it feels more like November than August. The first thing that goes through ones mind is the question “Will the game be on?”

In answer to that question, yes the game IS on, though the terrible weather followed me across the Pennines to Sheffield. So why am I watching Rotherham today? Well given the trials and tribulations over the summer it’s pleasing to report that the club is still in the Football League. The club found itself in administration last season and docked ten points which led to them being relegated, however due to certain conditions relating to coming out administration (far too boring to detail) they found themselves docked a further seventeen points for this season (as did Bournemouth and Luton, who got docked thirty points).

However another sting in the tail for Rotherham was that they moved out of their traditional home, Millmoor, due to arguments with their landlords over rent (they sold the ground a few years ago to clear debts). They now find themselves playing at the Don Valley Athletics stadium, four miles away in Sheffield. So this is where I fit into the picture, so to speak, as it’s a new ground to visit. Ideally I’d have liked to have visited with Chester City, but I’m away that weekend so I’ll have to make do with Lincoln instead.

Let me get this off my chest straight away. I HATE watching football in athletics stadiums. There is no atmosphere generated whatsoever and you are well away from the action, however in order to keep my “92” up it’s a necessary visit. The ground was incredibly easy to find, being well signposted off the M1. I arrived in plenty of time, parked up in a side street and had a stroll around the ground. After paying my £20 (yes £20!) to get into the stadium and picking up my programme (£2.50) I took my seat and my worst fears were confirmed. I was bloody miles away from the action! However, looking over at the away end I suppose I could have had a worse view.

The actual game itself wasn’t too bad with both sides playing some good football and creating chances, of which Rotherham had the best. In all honestly the game looked to be heading for a half time score of 0-0 until a long clearance from the Rotherham defender fell into the path of Reid who ran through one-on-one with the keeper to slot home on his debut. 1-0 to the home side at the break.

The highlight of the day occurred at the interval when Rotherham wheeled out their “top-boy” to do the half time draw...The one and only Barry Chuckle Brother! To me to you...only in Yorkshire, eh?

The second half continued in much the same vain as the first, though Lincoln had a good ten minute spell where they had a few good chances to equalise including a great free kick, which the Rotherham keeper did well to save. However the home side held on for a deserved win, which now puts them on minus fourteen. On this showing, however, I can see them easily getting themselves out of trouble....especially when I heard the result from Dagenham. City lost 6-0, Oh S***!! Maybe I should’ve waited for Chester…













The legendary Barry Chuckle does the honours at half time!

Saturday 9th August 2008
Football League Two
Rotherham United 1-0 Lincoln City
Attendance: 4,478

No comments:

Post a Comment